The IBM Aspera Add-in for Microsoft Outlook is a client software option for IBM Aspera Faspex,
which extends the full set of the Aspera high-speed transfer capabilities to Outlook
users. Senders compose emails and attach files using the standard email workflow,
with no additional steps needed.
The Aspera Add-in includes the following features:
High-Speed FASP Transfers
- Transfers are powered by Aspera's unique FASP protocol. Attachments are sent at high speed,
regardless of file size, distance, or network.
- Precise bandwidth control ensures that the entire allocated bandwidth is used to achieve
maximum transfer speeds, while being fair to other critical network
- Transfer status and progress can be viewed, paused, and resumed with the IBM Aspera Connect
No Limits on Email Attachments
- Email attachments can be of any size. There is virtually no limit since the attachments are
sent using the FASP protocol, using the Faspex transfer server.
- Entire folders and directories can be sent, of any size, without requiring any
- Email attachments can be encrypted for additional security.
- Attachments remain encrypted on the Faspex transfer server and must be decrypted by the
recipient using a passphrase.
Integration with Outlook
- The Aspera Add-in is installed on the client computer and is completely integrated with
- When a user clicks Send, the Aspera Add-in automatically sends the
attachments to the recipient at high speed using Faspex, and sends the original
email (minus the attachments) using Exchange, POP3, and so on.
- Attachments are sent directly from the Aspera client to the recipient using the Faspex
- Once the transfer is initiated, the sender can return to their work while the
transfer continues unattended in the background.
- Threshold for file sizes — All attachments with a total size below the threshold
are sent using the email server, while attachments with a total size above the
threshold size are automatically sent using Aspera.
- Download location — Downloaded attachments can be automatically saved to a specified folder,
or the user can be prompted for the directory location on each download.
- Encryption — Files can be kept encrypted on the server.
Compatible with Aspera Faspex, Connect, and Cargo
- Email attachments stored on a Faspex transfer server can be downloaded at high speed by the
recipient directly from within Outlook using the Aspera Add-In.
- All recipients (that is, Outlook users with the Add-in, Outlook users without the Add-in,
and web-based email users) receive a Faspex email with a link to the Faspex page
from which they can download attachments. Outlook users have an additional
benefit with the Add-in, in that they can download the attachments from Outlook
when they view the email (that is, without having to open the Faspex link
separately in their browsers).
- Recipients with a Faspex account and IBM Aspera Cargo can have attachments
automatically downloaded to their computers.